Caregiver Pilot

The Caregiver program is for individuals who want to immigrate and work in Canada as Caregivers. A new caregiver immigration pilot program was launched on June 18, 2019 and has replaced the old caregiver programs (Caring for Children and Caring for People with High Medical Needs pilots). The new caregiver program has a quota of 5,500 total applications every year under both caregiver pilots (Home Child Care Provider Pilot & Home Support Worker Pilot). The Home Child Care Provider Pilot and the Home Support Worker Pilot are 5-year pilot programs that let qualified caregivers and their family members come to Canada with the goal of becoming permanent residents.

How new caregiver program is different?

  • The old program was employer-driven and employer-specific, means employer could only hire a Caregiver through Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) and, the Caregiver was bound to work for the same employer. New caregiver program is no longer employer-specific although it is still employer-driven; meaning caregivers still need Canadian employers to hire them but now employers are not required to undergo the LMIA process. Now, the caregivers are issued occupation-specific work permit, means they are not bound to work for that specific employer or location and are free to work for any or as many employers or locations as they want or able to find but with the same occupation.
  • Secondly, the old program was allowing only the Caregiver to come Canada. It means, Caregivers were not allowed to bring their dependent spouse/children with them. New program allows the entry of spouse and dependent children along with the principal applicant at the work permit stage.

Eligibility criteria for new Caregiver pilot program

To qualify for a work permit under Home Child Care Provide (HCCP) or Home Support Worker Pilot (HSWP) an applicant must:

  • Have a valid full-time job offer from a Canadian employer (a private home where the care will be provided to child or children or high medical needs patent(s).
  • Have education, training, or experience in the same occupation [Home Child Care Provider (NOC 4411) or Home Support Worker (NOC 4412)] under which you are applying.
  • Have CLB 5 in English/French.
  • Have one year of Canadian post-secondary education or has an equivalent foreign education (ECA report is required for overseas education).
  • Be admissible to Canada.

Application process under new program

  • Under the new caregiver program, the caregivers will be scrutinized for their permanent residence application before they will be able to get the work permit to work with their Canadian employers as Home Child Care Provider or as Home Support Worker.
  • The applicant is required to submit his/her work permit and permanent residence application for the whole family at the same time. If applicable, open work permit of spouse and study permit/visitor visa application of dependent children also need to be submitted at the same time.
  • Caregivers will receive the decision on their work permit applications in around 10-12 months while their PR applications will be held until they complete their 2 years of work experience with the Canadian employer(s).
  • The caregiver who is already in Canada on old live-in Caregiver or Home Caregiver programs can also apply to convert into this new program or they can file for the permanent residence application provided they meet the PR requirements of the new caregiver program.

How we can help?

  • The program seems to be quite easy and simple, but it is not. The program is exempt from the LMIA process and therefore, an employer needs to make sure that they meet the program requirements to extend the job offer to foreign national.
  • No work experience is required under this program and therefore, it becomes a challenge to demonstrate “how” the applicant will be able to work in Canada as a Caregiver.
  • Through a comprehensive assessment, we will help you to determine whether an applicant and their employer meet the requirements.
  • We will help you through out the process by preparing and submitting your work permit and permanent residency applications.