Find out if you are eligible to study in Canada
Most foreign nationals need a study permit to study in Canada. You must apply before you travel and make sure you have all the documents we need before you apply.
The study permit is a document we issue that allows foreign nationals to study at designated learning institutions (DLI) in Canada.
While studying in Canada under a study permit you must:
- always be enrolled at a DLI
- make progress towards completing your program
- respect any conditions listed on your study permit
- stop studying if you no longer meet the requirements and
- leave Canada when your permit expires
Depending on your case, there may be conditions on your study permit such as:
- the level of studies you can attend
- if you are allowed to work in Canada
- if you can’t travel within Canada
- the date you must stop studying
The general criteria for application are mentioned below:
- The minimum TOEFL score required by most universities is 80-84(internet-based test) for PG courses.
- Most universities and colleges accept equivalent IELTS and PTE Academic scores.
Undergraduate study in Canada
- Universities in Quebec require a minimum 13 years of secondary school education, i.e. an additional year of formal education after the 12th standard or intermediate degree. Most others require a minimum 12 years of elementary and secondary education. However, if your academic credentials are very impressive, some universities may consider your application even with 12 years of education.
- Minimum aggregate marks of 70% are the 12th grade for bachelor’s degrees, and above 50% for diplomas and advanced diplomas.
- Mathematics in class XII (a prerequisite for some sciences, technology, and business courses).
- Minimum required IELTS/PTE Academic scores with an overall score of 6.0 bands or equivalent PTE scores
Masters in Canada
- Most universities require a qualification equivalent to the Canadian bachelor’s degree, which requires 16 years of formal education. It would mean another year of education after Indian bachelors or a four-year bachelor’s degree course in B.E., B.Tech. Or other such courses.
- Minimum required IELTS / PTE Academic scores with the minimum score of 6.5 bands as an overall score for PG Diploma and 7.0 bands for master’s degree. Some universities accept equivalent PTE scores too.
- Relevant work experience (some universities require this for MBA and Master’s Degree in IT)
Doctorate in Canada:
- For doctorate programmes, most universities require a master’s degree in that subject. However, universities might consider your application without a master’s degree in exceptional cases.